What types of foods should I consume to follow a high-fat, low-carb keto diet?
The ketogenic (keto) diet is becoming increasingly popular as an effective way to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle. By emphasizing a high-fat, low-carb diet, the keto diet restricts the intake of certain carbohydrates, which forces the body to use stored fat for energy instead of carbohydrates.
Benefits of Before & After Keto Dieting
Before Keto Dieting
- You are in a high-carbohydrate diet with high consumption of junk food and sugar.
- Your metabolism becomes slow and your body tends to store calories as fat.
After Keto Dieting
- The body starts burning fat effectively.
- You have more mental clarity and energy all day.
- You see improved digestion and regularity.
Recommended Foods to Include
The major staples of the keto diet should include low-glycemic, nutrient-dense carbohydrates like avocados, dark leafy greens, nuts, and seeds. Protein sources should come from grass-fed animal sources like wild-caught fish, pasture-raised eggs, and pasture-raised chicken. Healthy fats like olive oil, coconut oil, and avocado oil are also recommended for a balanced diet.
Foods to Avoid
Make sure to avoid processed carbs like white bread and pasta, sugary foods, and fried foods. Additionally, it’s important to avoid grain-fed animal sources of protein like regular eggs and pork and highly processed meats such as hot dogs.
Additional Tips and Strategies
- Include fermented foods like kefir, kimchi, and sauerkraut to promote gut health.
- Consume bone broth to support healthy gut health.
- Start the day with a healthy breakfast such as eggs and avocado.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Engage in regular physical activity.
- Make sure to get adequate sleep each night.
The ketogenic diet is a powerful tool to promote weight loss and overall health. Incorporating these tips and strategies can ensure you get the most health benefits from this diet.