What macros should I focus on when following the ketogenic diet
If you are looking to make a lasting change to your health and improve your body composition, then the Ketogenic or Keto diet may be the answer for you. The Keto diet is a low-carb, high-fat diet that can help you reduce carbohydrate intake, burn fat, and increase your metabolism rate.
What is the Keto Diet and How Does it Work?
The Keto diet works by limiting the amount of carbs you eat, while increasing the amount of fats and proteins. The idea is to reduce the amount of glucose that your body produces, as this will force your body to break down its fat stores for energy, instead of using carbohydrates. This process, known as ketosis, helps you to burn fat and boost your metabolism rate.
What Foods Can You Eat on the Keto Diet?
The Keto diet typically consists of foods such as:
- Meat and poultry (preferably organic, grass-fed options)
- Fish and seafood
- Nuts and seeds
- Low-carb vegetables such as kale, spinach, and broccoli
- Healthy fats, including olive oil, avocados, and coconut oil
It’s important to note that carbohydrates should make up less than 5 percent of your total caloric intake. This means that you will typically need to limit the number of starchy and sugary foods that you eat, such as bread, pasta, potatoes, and some fruits.
What Are the Benefits of the Keto Diet?
The Keto diet has numerous benefits, including:
- Weight loss, as your body will be using fat stores as fuel, instead of carbs
- Increased triglyceride and HDL cholesterol levels
- Decreased blood pressure and blood sugar levels
- Improved energy levels and mental clarity
- Anti-inflammatory qualities
- Reduced cravings and hunger
Getting Started on the Keto Diet: Tips and Tricks
Getting started on the Keto diet can be a bit overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be. Here are some tips and tricks that will help you make the transition:
- Educate yourself – understand how the diet works and learn what foods you should eat and avoid.
- Get organized – create a meal plan, grocery list, and make sure you always have enough of the right foods on hand.
- Start slow – don’t attempt to go fully Keto right away. Start by reducing your carbohydrate intake and adding in more healthy fats and proteins.
- Track your progress – tracking what you eat and how you feel on the diet can be incredibly helpful in modifying your overall strategy.
The Keto diet can be a powerful tool for improving your health, losing weight, and boosting your metabolism. With the right education, planning, and committment, you can successfully get started on the Keto diet and enjoy all of its benefits.